Headliner Tetris won, it’s on to more projects

After fitting the final piece of Yahtzee’s new headliner on Saturday morning, I stood back and looked at the finished product with a discerning eye. Something was amiss. One of the pine slats didn’t look right and, while it worked in theory, I couldn’t live with it.

So, I went about crafting a new piece to complete the large Tetris game that I have slowly installed on Yahtzee’s ceiling over the past two-and-a-half months. During that time there have been numerous starts and stops, a postponement for materials, and a two week foray to the lower 48.

When the final piece was cut, painted and fit on Sunday, though, I was a happy craftsman. I’m glad to have this enormous undertaking completed and am incredibly satisfied with the results. But a funny thing happened when I started cleaning up the cabin underneath it all — I moved forward to what’s next rather quickly.

Headliner complete, lots of cleanup needed.

I guess it’s no surprise for me. I’ve never been one to dwell on past projects; when one is complete, I’m already moving towards what’s next. And though we’ve accomplished a lot since moving on to terra firma in late September, there is more to do before we sling our stuff back aboard in early May.

Of course, one project leads to another and our next is paint. Jill and I ended up liking the Pettit Satin EZ Cabin Coat so much on the headliner that we ordered another quart and are going to paint all the yellowed fiberglass around the various cabins to give it a fresh face. It’s easy to work with, provides a finish that is mildew-free and has already brightened up Yahtzee’s 34 year-old interior — so we might as well keep going.

With the paint will come our new Dickinson Alaska heater, which is a much appreciated Christmas gift and will make the perfect replacement for our failing Sigmar. After that we’re looking forward to tackling some projects that have been in the works but, as happens, have taken a backseat while I’ve been playing Tetris on the ceiling. Onward we go.

4 thoughts on “Headliner Tetris won, it’s on to more projects

  1. Well done, Andy! I can only imagine the “fun” in doing the overhead like that from scratch. The PO did the slats on our boat in all the lower cabins, and I had to take down most of the overhead in two of them for our deck repair project (ongoing!!!). Fortunately, he numbered the back of each and every piece so I was able to put it all back together properly!

    1. Thanks, Darren! Overall the project wasn’t too bad, but I certainly had some moments where it was hard to see light at the end of the tunnel. And yes, numbering the backs was definitely key!

    1. When I removed the unit in October I quickly realized that the back of it was badly corroded and paper thin — not good. It was close to the bulkhead and hard to see, so it went unnoticed for years. One of the reasons we decided on the Dickinson Alaska is that it is smaller than the Sigmar, which will fit the space a lot better. And it puts out a comparable amount of heat.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *