In honor of the upcoming Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend, our friends at OffCenterHarbor.com have shared this awesome free video with Three Sheets readers. Click here or on the image below to watch, and we’ll see you in Port Townsend!
The 2017 Seattle Boats Afloat Show at South Lake Union is on the horizon, and it looks like there will once again be plenty of new boats to peruse at the West Coast’s largest floating show. This year’s event gets underway at 11 a.m. on Thursday, September 14 and runs throughout the weekend, closing at […]
COMANCHE is the most recent US Navy or Coast Guard vessel to bear the name, a name that frames a storied nautical tradition. She was built by Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works of Port Arthur, Texas in 1944, commissioned, and designated an ATA (Ocean Tug, Auxiliary) with no name, as USS ATA 202. She supported […]
Three Sheets Northwest contributor Mark Aberle was invited for a short stint of fishing in Southeast Alaska. As happens, the story would have some interesting challenges that needed to be surmounted before the “Steel Team” could get out on the water. In Part One, the crew is devastated by a fire aboard the seiner Julia Kae, […]
The sixth annual Pocket Yacht Palooza, a celebration of small-boat designs in the 6 to 22-foot range, will be held this Saturday, July 22, at the Northwest Maritime Center in Port Townsend. The Palooza is the largest festival dedicated to small boats — wood, fiberglass, skin-on-frame — on the West Coast, drawing participants from as far […]
PATRÓN is unusual, if not unique, in two aspects: She was purpose-built (for a specific project) and, after construction, she was cut into four sections so she could be shipped by railroad flat car to the project site, high in Washington State’s northern Cascade Mountains. Further, she was the first of her type on Puget […]
The venerable tug PARTHIA was built in Winslow, Bainbridge Island, Washington by James Hall in 1906. She is 50 feet length over all, with an 11 foot beam and 4 foot 9 inch draft. PARTHIA towed for the Pacific Tugboat Company in 1910, and was then owned by a man named Lermond in 1912. At this time, […]